The Mellon College of Science (MCS) is home to four departments and many programs and research centers that cross disciplines. We approach scientific problems from fresh angles using creative interdisciplinary approaches while drawing on our departmental strengths in the core sciences.
Our Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center (PSC) within MCS is seeking a Machine Learning Research Scientist. In this role, you will work within the PSC’s Artificial Intelligence and Big Data (AI&BD) Group to engage and enable research, assist with user support, as well as develop and deliver advanced training. This is an excellent opportunity if you thrive on the opportunity for collaboration with complementary groups across PSC, particularly Computational Biology, User Support for Scientific Application, Facilities & Technology, and Public Health Applications.
Core responsibilities will include:
- Engage deeply as an ML expert in domain-specific projects with academic and private-sector researchers to develop and test prototype solutions applying high performance computing capabilities to data science challenges.
- Lead the development of best practices for scalable AI, including elements of benchmarking and comparative evaluation involving various software frameworks and advanced hardware platforms.
- Lead the development of advanced training content for briefings, seminars, workshops, and tutorials, and assist with its delivery.
- Perform research activities at the intersection of HPC and AI including the use of AI to improve HPC and HPC capabilities for AI advancement.
- Install, test, and deploy AI and data analytics software on PSC’s production and research platforms.
- Provide advanced user support for topics involving AI, data, and data analytics.
- Contribute to, and possibly lead (depending on experience), grant proposals and related efforts to attract funding.
- Publish results in peer-reviewed journals and conferences.
- Represent PSC externally: at conferences, across CMU and Pitt, and to other stakeholders.
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within PSC. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
You should demonstrate:
- Proficiency with one or more mathematical/statistical programming packages: Python numpy/scipy/pandas, R, MATLAB, etc.
- Proficiency with one or more deep learning frameworks and environments: TensorFlow, Caffe2, PyTorch, Anaconda, etc.
- Preferred: Demonstrated success with machine learning (preferably deep learning) projects beyond coursework, i.e., in research or business.
- Proficiency with Python programming and package installation.
- Proficiency with Linux: shells, editors, building applications, etc.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and creativity.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Machine Learning, Data Science, or Statistics, or another field of science or engineering with relevant experience with AI frameworks and data analytics.
- Minimum three years of experience applying machine learning to real-world problems; education will be considered in lieu of experience required
- Software development experience in one or more general purpose programming languages.
- Working proficiency and communication skills in verbal and written English.
- Master’s Degree in Machine Learning, Data Science, or Statistics, or another field of science or engineering with relevant experience with AI frameworks and data analytics preferred.
- Experience in Natural Language Understanding, Computer Vision, Machine Learning, Algorithmic Foundations of Optimization, Data Mining, Machine/Artificial Intelligence
- Successful background check
Are you interested in this opportunity with us? Please apply
CMU’s COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: As a condition of employment, Carnegie Mellon University requires all staff and faculty working in the United States to be fully vaccinated, including a booster when eligible, against COVID-19. Prior to commencement of employment, new hires in the United States must provide proof of vaccination or obtain an approved exemption. (Exemptions may be requested for medical reasons or for religious or strong moral or ethical conviction.) Those granted an exemption must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements. The most up-to-date information on CMU’s COVID-19 mitigation requirements can be found here: Minimum Requirements to Return to Campus.